July 31, 2012

Disabled man gives back to community with free ice kacang


Sweet treat: Faudzi spreading the Ramadan cheer by giving away ice kacang to motorists.

KUALA TERENGGANU: While most traders are cashing in on Ramadan, one-legged ice kacang seller Faudzi Muhamad gives away the tasty dessert for free.

The 46-year-old Faudzi takes the opportunity during the fasting month to thank his customers for their support.

He said that life was more than chasing wealth and one must find ways to give back to society.

“The fasting month is challenging especially for the people here as the humidity is higher because it is close to the sea. The perfect solution is to have my ice kacang for buka puasa.”

Faudzi's stall is located along Jalan Sultan Zainal Abidin here.

“Due to my disability, I would set up a table at the side of the street near my stall and pass the ice kacang to passing motorists.

“It gives me a great sense of fulfilment to see the joy on their faces when they receive the ice kacang,” he said.

Faudzi, who lost his right leg in a motorcycle accident in 1995, said giving away the dessert was the least he could do for his customers.

“They have given me so much by supporting my business,” he said.

He also believed that disability is not a stumbling block to achieving success.

“Whatever we do, it must come from the heart ... the effort and desire must be sincere.

“I never considered losing a leg a disability. Instead, I saw it as an extra push to succeed,” he said.

The Star 31 Jul 2012

0 comments:

Post a Comment